Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Never Underestimate the Power of an Act of Kindness.

I love working at Second Harvest Food Bank. Every day, I witness caring citizens donating time, energy, food, and money to help feed people who they will most likely never meet.

Their generosity never fails to reaffirm my faith in the goodness of humanity.

Recently, I learned of an act of kindness that still brings tears to my eyes.

It started with Carolee Hazard helping out Jenni Ware, a stranger who was in front of her in the checkout line at the grocery store. When it came time for Ware to pay for her groceries, she discovered she had lost her wallet. Seeing that Ware was obviously in distress, Hazard paid for Ware’s groceries with her own credit card, asking Ware to send her a check when she found her wallet.

To find out how this amazing act of trust and kindness ultimately ended up benefitting Second Harvest, read this Mercury News story.