Tuesday, December 23, 2008

In the spirit of gratitude


Today I saw a food distribution where 2200 families received the makings of a wonderful holiday meal.  Imagine seeing that many people, all from your local community, lined up and being efficiently helped by hundreds of volunteers.  At this particular site, the turn-out was 20% higher than last year, but they were prepared. They were prepared because of people like you who volunteer and donate and advocate on behalf of the hungry.

We thank you wholeheartedly for caring enough to make a difference.

I thought I'd share some letters I saw this afternoon posted in our copy room here at the Food Bank.  I found them very inspirational! It has been a very busy year for everyone who works here, and we are very grateful for your support.  We could not do it without you!

They are short, but sweet.   Happy Holidays to you and your families!


From a client:
Dear Sweet People at Second Harvest,
Thank you so much for the beautiful Christmas gifts.  You made my Christmas so nice.  Gee, three bags of great food and all kinds of things I can’t afford, yet need.  
Almost all of my family has passed away, so Christmas is most often my dog Buddy and me.  I am a 66-year-old, disabled widow, and have adjusted well to my new life.  My dog and I live a happy and peaceful life.  
Thank you, once again, for making this Christmas so special. 

name withheld

From someone who works at one of our Partner Agencies:
I just wanted to take a moment to recognize the amazing, impacting, tireless, difficult, life-changing work that all of you do, day in and day out, to help feed those in need!  Those of us at the community agencies have the gift of seeing the smiles that your hard work brings, and I feel it is important to express to you the impact of your service, which is nothing less than heroic! 

It takes an army of people, making the difficult decisions in management, processing orders, packaging food, driving all around the valley, to feed the thousands of people each week.  Thank you for your non-stop dedication and passion for your neighbors in need.  I hope you all have a relaxing Christmas and New Year!  

name withheld